Wednesday, January 4, 2012

~Soup's On!~

Last week, it wasn't too terribly chilly but I was in the mood for some soup and in the mood for something that I hadn't fixed in a while.  So a-browsin' I went through my cookbooks.  What to cook, what to cook....


Voila!  I found one that I hadn't fixed in a while.  Geez, maybe last winter??  Cheesy Chicken Chowder.  Doesn't it look good?

Well, you can't have soup without a bread of some type, right?  So, I whipped up a batch of easy peasy Angel Biscuits to go along with it.  Oh, it hit the spot.  Yum!  Once the hoopla of the holidays were over, I knew I wanted to share it with you.

This soup is really simple and fast to cook...my favorite way of cooking these days.  It just takes a few pots to get it done.  No big deal, huh?  hehehe Well, what are we waiting for?  Let's get to cookin', okay?

Cheesy Chicken Chowder

3 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups diced cooked chicken**

In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.  Reduce heat; add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; add flour and mix well. (I usually use the pan that I cooked the chicken in).  Gradually stir in milk; cook over low heat until slightly thickened.  Stir in cheese and cook until melted; add to broth along with chicken.  Cook and stir over low heat until heated through.  Yield:  6 to 8 servings.

** I used boneless chicken breasts...so easy to cook and shred.
Note:  I usually cut the recipe in half for just me and Mr. Bill.  It makes plenty!

If you are new to my blog, I design the recipe so that you can print it out on card stock, cut in half  and glue the blank sides back to back to create a recipe type card if you would like.

Right click on the photo below to print out the recipe or save it to your computer to print out later.
I hope you enjoy my soup recipe!
Note:  I'm going to a blog party!...
                         What's Cookin' in the Cottage Kitchen?



22 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh yum this is so going in my arsenal. Looks so thick and creamy.

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you! I've got leftover turkey from Christmas I think I'll use for that. It looks delicious and "mouth-watering"! Can you post the recipe for Angel Biscuits sometime? I've never heard of them but they looked yummy too!

Gail said...

That soup looks and sounds delicious! Too bad we can't actually try it out for real! Good to "meet" you via My Cottage Charm! Gail

Melissa said...

Mmmmm, my favorite!!

My Vintage Mending said...

Alright...it takes me a while but I have made it here and oh what I have missed. Sorry for my belated arrival. This is such a beautiful site. I can't wait to see what you are up to...smiles..Renee

Melinda said...

Sounds yummy! Will have to print this out.

Melinda

Kerin said...

Oh Velma..
that is a delicious looking soup.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for putting together the printable cards. So nice.

We have been making soup too.
Our youngest son loves cabbage soup...so that's what we've had bubbling away on our stove.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

My Cottage Charm said...

Thanks for you well wishes for sinus infection..I'm feeling much better now. I wish I could figure out how not to get them anymore..I'd sure do it! :)
Oh and yes, I was seriously hyper from that Sudafed...medicines effect me the exact opposite than they're supposed to. I can take something that's supposed to make you sleepy and it makes me WIDE awake! lol
Your chowder looks SO yummy! I'm fixing philly cheesesteak sandwiches tonight..my boys are looking forward to it! :)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Missy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This sounds yummy! We eat a lot more soup in the winter months! ♥

Betty Sneeringer said...

The soup looks yummy! I printed it off to try. I was sent over here by Shannon - glad she sent me.

Blondie's Journal said...

Popping in from Shannon's blog! This recipe looks so yummy...I think I am going to try it tomorrow!!! I'm looking forward to following your blog! It's very fresh and likable! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, Velma!

XO,
Jane

rachel@Acts of Life said...

This looks quite yummy! I love soup on chilly days...and chicken is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower, thank you for following my blog as well :) I am having a giveaway might be something you'd like!
All the best,
Rachel

Calypso In The Country said...

Oh that looks delicious! My 8 year old is a huge corn chowder fan and used to always order it at Panera - but they stopped carrying it! I am definitely making your recipe! Your blog is beautiful...I just came over from Shannon's to visit but I will be back. Have a wonderful weekend!
-Shelley

Linda said...

Greetings Velma,

Shannon from Cozy Home sent me!

I am a newbie blogger, too, just this year and I know how exciting it can be to 'meet' more bloggers and make new friends. I started as a form of 'happy therapy', while recovering from breast cancer treatments. I am doing well now and have just returned to work after 18 months of medical leave. I firmly believe the positive energy from my fellow bloggers helped with my recovery. In fact, my husband and I even travelled this past summer by plane to meet face-to-face for the first time a wonderful friend through blogging! It was one of the best trips of my life! :-)

Your recipes look divine and do make my mouth water. I will definitely be trying some of them and will be sure to let you know how they turn out! Yum. Keep on blogging. I'll be back...Haha

Wishing you and your loved ones a beautiful new year,

Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Linda said...

Me again, Velma!

I was looking around your blog for the recipe for your heavenly 'Angel Biscuits'. I'd love to try it, too! :-)

Hugs,
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Anonymous said...

Hi Velma! I found you through Shannon. I am a new follower! And I must say, I could eat the entire contents of the Cheesy Chicken Chowder - I LOVE any kind of Chowder, and your photo looks so good. Even in the hot summer, soups are always on at my house. Angel biscuits look delish too! I am so happy that you listed the recipe. I think Cheesy Chicken Chowder will be on my menu for next Sunday! xo

Ann said...

Your blog looks like so much fun and alot of everything I'm interested in. Your soup looks heavenly. I'll be following too.
Ann

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Soup and bread or biscuits is my favorite kinda meal any time of year. Hope you are having a great weekend. Tammy

romance-of-roses said...

Hi Velma, I am your latest follower. What a lovely blog you have, I will visit you again and hope you visit me as well. Of course will try this soup since the holidays I have been making soups, so this is perfect, thanks so much for this. Hugs...Lu

Unknown said...

Hi Velma!
Boy your Cottage Kitchen smells wonderful 8o) So glad you came over to the party!

Judy said...

Oh my! This looks absolutely yummy! Since I am recovering from recent surgery, this really looks good! Perhaps I'll make a batch in a day or two!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just started making a similar recipe this year, and my family loves it so much I've already made it 3 times! I love your blog and will be back very soon to visit again. Hugs ~ Mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...