Saturday, September 22, 2012

~Oh, For the Love of Ironstone~

Every once in a while, I like to get out and do some treasure hunting.  Antique stores, thrift stores, whatever. Sometimes I find something, sometimes I don't.  It's good therapy. :)  The other day I stopped by a local secondhand store to browse.  I hadn't been there in a really long time as there's usually not too much I can find there.  Yesterday, I went to the Habitat store while my dog was being groomed.  A good way to kill time, right?  Well, I found some treasures in both places!  Plus, I got them at really good prices.  Double bonus!

 One of my most treasured collections involves ironstone.  I love the color and the crazing.  I especially love the "Virginia Rose" type pattern from Homer Laughlin but, since they are hard to find, I look for any pieces that are similar in design.


 I found these pieces when I was out treasure hunting.  I'm in love and I'm ecstatic.  My, oh my!  Ironstone reminds me so much of farmhouse kitchens.  If it could be a comfort food, this would fit in that category.  That's what it does for me.  It makes my heart go pitter-patter.

I found an unmarked platter. I already have several.  But who's counting?  This ironstone bowl has K.T.&K. Stone China on the bottom.  It's heavy and solid with scalloped edges and lots of crazing.  I already have a monstrous ironstone bowl that is about 15 inches across but it's hard to know what to do with one so large.  This one is a tad smaller at about 11 inches.  Perfect!

This is a stack of eight Homer Laughlin plates.  I almost did the happy dance at the Habitat store when I saw them in the glass case!  Not one, not two but eight plates!!  I was so excited that I almost forgot to do some bargaining.  What was I thinking?!?!?

They were marked $20 for the set and, at first, I thought something might be wrong with a few of the plates.  When the lady took them out for me to look at, she almost apologized for the discoloration and said they were rather worn.  Also, since they had been sitting for a while, she dropped the price to $15.  I almost choked!!  Poor lady.  She must have thought I had lost my mind at wanting to take something in such sad condition.  But I pulled myself together, put on my "look of contemplation" and said I'd take them. Be still my heart!!

Today, I started pulling out some of my fall decorations.  Finally.  The temps here are still in the 90s and it's hard to start decorating for Autumn even though I am SO ready for it in my heart!  It's my most favorite season of the year.

The stark contrast of the ironstone against the reds, browns and dark oranges of autumn is so lovely, don't you think?

I got these rustic-appearing apples at HL last year.  I think I'll use them in my new bowl to display on the dining table.

I cleared away the faux garlands to see what the display would look like, but I rather like my bowl being nestled in the fall colors.  I think I'll put some of them back on the table.

The new platter and plates are in my display cabinet now.  Several of my ironstone pitchers are still on the fireplace mantel where they will stay for a while longer.  If you're interested, you can read more about my ironstone collection here.

I'm sharing my simple love of ironstone with Elaine over at Sunny Simple Life.  Now I need to get busy and start decorating for Autumn!!

Photobucket
Blogfest


Pin It 
Note:  I forgot to mention that one thing I am looking for to add to my ironstone collection is possibly a small soup tureen or something like a canister with a lid to store the hot chocolate mix I add to my morning coffee.  So, if you see one and YOU don't want it, I'd be pleased as punch if you'd give me a heads up about it ;)

24 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

I think the lady had no idea what she had there. Your benefit for sure. It is beautiful and I love it in your hutch.

Suziq1023 said...

You scored! I have my grandmothers Crock bowls that I decorate similarly with gourds. The things I've been gifted from family mean the most to me and I'm sure glad the rest of the world caught on to my prairie style decorating ;). It was good to read that you were out and about. How's the house coming?

vintage grey said...

Such beautiful ironstone!! Love your fall decorations!! Happy Autumn! xo Heather

Jenny's Heart said...

WOW! Such a haul for $15!
WOW!
I have a small collection of White Ironstone, they were the first dishes
I had, my mom had them stored in the attic for me and that is what I started out married life with...I think it is time to bring them to the table again.
Yours are lovely!

Blondie's Journal said...

You are a lucky girl...the ironstone is fantastic! I never have much luck at thrift stores so I know how excited you must be!

I love those little apples from HL. I have to get over there and see what they have. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

XO,
Jane

Cindy said...

Hi Velma,
Your new Ironstone is gorgeous! How wonderful that you found them and for such a good price, that's what retail therapy is all about. You left there feeling excited and happy, didn't you.
Love and hugs, Cindy

My Vintage Mending said...

I have some of these and I too grab them as often as I can. The little crazes in the finish are so gorgeous. Every little curve and ripple make me swoon. Never leave an ironstone piece behind...smiles...Renee

terricheney said...

I look for bits of ironstone myself. Imagine my delight at finding a complete service for 8 in my grandmother's cabinet that to my knowledge had never been used. Not old plates, but they have served us well for over 8 years. Alas the cups have bit the dust and the bowls too, but so be it. I've used and loved them and look for 'extras' any time I'm out.

Love the look of the ironstone nestled amidst the garlands. I'm inspired to garland the pieces on my buffet.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Velma -- I LOVE white ironstone! I think I inherited it in my genes; my Mom bought it whenever she found it, and even bought "everyday" dishes from a restaurant supply place -- Homer Laughlin white ironstone, service for 24. She never got tired of it; it's not antique but it's pretty vintage, being more than 50 years old now.

LOVE your new finds. AND best of all???? The picture of the new grandchild. Oh, you LUCKY lucky duck!

What a wonderful blessing.
Cass

Sea Witch said...

What a lovely find. I adore white ware and yours looks so pretty nestled inbetween your fall decorating.

Betty Sneeringer said...

What nice bargains you found! You have a great collection. I have always liked ironstone but don't collect it. Hope you are feeling well!

Betty

Kerin said...

Such great finds!
You can't beat that price with a stick :)

So glad that all those beautiful dishes are home with you...where they will be much loved, and appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hi Velma! I'm glad you found some things that made you so happy. It's always hard for me to turn down dishes when I'm shopping, so I understand why you had to have these.

I really like your apple centerpiece on the table and your display cabinet in the last picture.

Thank you so very much for adding my new blog to your sidebar. I've been doing some "back door" things on my blog this week, but am almost finished with those. I'll be working on getting everyone's blogs on my sidebar over the weekend so I'll be sure to include yours!

Karen said...

Hi Velma, that was great luck finding those beautiful bowls and plates. My local Goodwill has gotten wise to the ironstone craze and has jacked up the prices quite a bit. You have a wonderful collection and it really does look pretty with the fall colors. Thanks so much for visiting and leaving such a nice comment.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh, Velma! What a great find!!! I love ironstone and you got some wonderful new-to-you pieces!
They would look great in my farmhouse kitchen!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I hope you were checking your rear view mirror as you stole that HL set of plates...I am surprised the police were not after you!!! That's why we just keep junkin...Every once in a while we strike it big!!

Carol

The Farmers Daughter said...

Oh My! What a find! I'm so envious!

GardenOfDaisies said...

It looks like you hit the ironstone jackpot! The patina on those old plates is really wonderful.

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

How fun! I love haunting our local thrift stores. I hope I can persuade you to share this post on my Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-2.html

krishna said...

hmm!!! it seems that you enjoyed a lot.. lovely treasure you found.
http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com/

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Beautiful ironstone. I have only a few pieces of Virginia Rose that belonged to my Grandmother. I treasure those. I think that design is one of the most beautiful!

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Velma, what WONDERFUL finds!!!! You really did score!!! I love that design too...I don't own many pieces though ~ your display is just wonderful and what a deal on that set of plates! I love the aging and crazing too, that's truly what makes them so beautiful to me. And congratulations to your new little grandson, he is absolutely beautiful!!! I'm sure by now they've settled into a routine and are doing wonderful. Thanks so much for your visit! hugs and love, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Your white stoneware is lovely... I just sold a set Hull Brown Drip dinnerware at a local auction in Seattle...

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of ironstone, too! We have everyday ironstone that Mister started homemaking with back in the early 70's! (when I was still a child :))
Do you use the ironstone in your collection?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...