Saturday, January 14, 2012

~Let it Snow, Let it Snow....~

...let it snow.  We had some snow the other night with a mighty blast of north wind...about half an inch, but not now.  It's not cold enough to snow.  Temps are supposed to be around the high 50s to 60s for several days. :/


Most people think that winter is so drab.  But if you look around, you can see the beauty of God's creation in many ways.  The sparkle on the snow when the sun is shining, the beautiful designs that frost crystals make on your windows, the bright red of cardinals, winterberries, evergreens....  A house definitely looks drab once the beautiful Christmas decorations and lights are taken down, right?  At least I think so.  But I can bring the beauty of winter indoors to enjoy. So, several years ago, I did just that.  I began decorating my house with wintry type decorations...evergreens, winterberries and snowmen.  


On the fireplace mantel, the Hallelujah Choir of angels is taken down and I replace it with the "Let it Snow" people...aka snowmen.



I've had this chubby little fellow for several years but the bottle type brushes and snowflakes are new.  I got them on clearance this year.




I'm on the hunt to increase my snowman population and found these cute little guys on clearance at...you guessed it.  Hobby Lobby.  I love the cute little smile on this guy's face.  I think he's so proud that the cardinals have found a gathering place on him.

Simple decorations on top are just an evergreen piece and some winterberries.  I love this framed picture.  I got it from The Country House, one of my favorite online stores to find country decor.

This wooden grouping is all one piece.  I had it up at Christmas but I don't know why because it's really more in line with my winter decorations.  I got it at a craft show several years ago.

This grouping is on top of my stacked wooden crates turned bookshelves.  The wooden snowman is from the same craft person at the same craft show as the wooden grouping above it.

Picket fence turned snowmen.  Is it not the cutest??  I have never seen anything like it.  The tallest 'snowman' is probably four inches or so.  I think I got it from a craft mall somewhere in the city.

In the main hallway, I have an antique linen press (linen closet).  It is so dark and dreary in this little area, so I  created a vignette using Christmas lights.  For a while, I tried using a little spot light but the bulbs kept burning out.  It makes for a beautiful night light. ;)


 For the most part, all the things you see here stay up all year long.  The evergreen tree, along with the berries and such, are changed out and replaced with items that go along with the seasons.  I love my little birds and the nest that they protect.



Watch out!!! This little fella is coming down the hill at a fast pace on his sled!  Isn't he cute? 

 At one time, there was a local crafter...I don't know if she's still in business nor the name of her business..but she was having an in-home sale of her crafted items and this guy caught my eye and just had to come with me.  I've had him for over ten years now.


So, here you have it.  My little collection of snowmen and winter type decorations.  Despite the warmer than normal temps, I think I'm ready to say....let it snow!

Is it a winter wonderland where you live or do you create a winter wonderland like I do?

Stay warm ~




Pin It



Going to these blog parties this week:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Your Cozy Home Party @ Cozy Home Scenes



9 comments:

Unknown said...

You have the decorating touch. You did a wonderful job creating a homey snowman season. You inspired me to try this.

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Velma, I have never decorated the house for winter but you have impressed me so much that I am going to do it next year. The vignette with the birdhouse, birds, berries and lights is a very pretty scene. Your home certainly doesn't look dreary at all. It's very cold here, too. My dogs don't want to go outside. Heehee.--------- Shannon

Sam I Am...... said...

Velma, it's darling! I love it! I live in AR so we had snow and cold the last couple days but the snow barely covered anything and today it's in the high 40's.
I'm like you though...I love all kinds of weather and you are SO right that after Christmas you can still have winter decorations! You are very talented in all areas of making a house a home! I look forward to your blog every day! Thank you.

My Vintage Mending said...

What a great idea to replace the Christmas with snowmen...It looks beautiful. We only got a light dusting and lots of wind. It is heading into the 60's tomorrow here and then back down next week. I do hope this doesn't mean another hot summer! Smiles..>Renee

Melinda said...

I have "Christmas Snowmen" and "Winter Snowmen."
This morning I put out a couple of winter decorations more will be coming out soon.

Melinda

Linda said...

Hi Velma,

I'm glad I found you! I really appreciate the lovely comment you left on my blog.

I enjoyed your winter decorating. Can you believe that I still have all my Christmas decorations in place?! Lol I am so reluctant to dismantle them, as are many of my friends and we are still sharing a little Christmas at each other's homes, even at this late date. It seems "we're all in it together!" Haha I am sure that will all change in a short time.

You, however, have inspired me to keep some things up so that I can enjoy them all winter long. I have some snowmen that I crafted many years ago and they haven't seen the light of day in awhile. Hmmm...they just may be 'reborn' soon.

Thank you for sharing. I'll be back!

Hugs and have a happy day,
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Unknown said...

Velma, Thanks LOTS for stopping by the other day! I hope the photography class has some helpful tips for you!!! I LOVE that you decorate with a winterscape! It looks so great, so true that it's drab when Christmas is put away!!! I wish we could get some snow here, but in TX that's usually a once a year special surprise!!! I'll wait for that treat and enjoy when it arrives!!! I'm excited to be your newest follower sweet friend!!! Your home is beautiful!

XO, Aimee

Melody said...

Velma, I follow you by email and love to read your posts. I also love The Country House too. I adore your winter decorations. I may have to start collecting snowmen. My husband will be so glad to hear that :)

Cindy said...

Hi Velma, It is definitely a Winter Wonderland where I live. I love your indoors Winter Wonderland, though, it is very cheerful. And that's what we need in the middle of Winter, isn't it.
I'm sorry that I have missed so many of your posts, your blog comes to my email and I cannot keep up with my email, I must have 80 or more unopened emails in it now. Blogging is beginning to take over my life. I will have to just put yours on my sidebar, then I will get to it more often.
Hugs, Cindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...