Tuesday, October 4, 2011

~Farmhouse Cupboard Vignette, Part Two~

Last week, I posted about all the wonderful antiques and such that I have in my farmhouse cupboard.  I started with the top shelf and had planned on continuing the tour of my cupboard vignette, but got busy getting ready for our RV trip to Jellystone Park in Lawrence, KS, to celebrate Monkey's fifth birthday.   Thus, I didn't have time to get to it before leaving.  First things first, right?
"This is why they call me Monkey!"
So, here I am back at home. after a wonderful weekend, ready to get back after it.  Let's get started!
On the inside of the left cabinet door, I have the cloth flour sack that I got from one of the many antique stores that I've visited.  Unfortunately, I can't remember where I find alot of my treasures.  The rooster sign came from one of my favorite online stores...The Country House, where I have purchased several items for my home.  In fact, I have one of their quilts on my wishlist. :)
This wash pan is one of my most treasured items.  It came from my beloved maternal grandmother.  Years ago, I can remember her using an old pot for a "slop" bucket to hold vegetable peels, scraps from meals, etc.  She then graduated to this wash pan to hold her scraps.  I can remember her feeding some of them to her dog but I have no idea what she did with the rest.  Never was curious enough to find out, I guess. Slop bucket or not, it is one of the few items that I have to remember her and I cherish it just as much as the others.

On the second shelf, I have all of my cast iron items.  This match holder is not an antique.  I purchased it from the same favorite online store.  It reminds me of the one my grandmother had by her kitchen stove, so I had to have it.  I used it for a few years to light candles and such.  No stove to light as mine was electric.  Ha!  The enamelware container could have been used as a slop bucket.  I don't remember what the tag said.  Now that I think about it, I wish I had saved the tags from all the items I bought so I could have the information about them and also see how much I paid.  Darn.

I thought the glassware gave a nice contrast to the cast iron items.  The cut glass pitcher was part of a box of glass items I bought at an auction.  The milk bottle  and salt/pepper shakers came from an antique store.  The syrup pitchers I got on eBay.  I bought one, fell in love with it and had to have another.  They were used when serving my bed and breakfast guests and I love using them on my own table.  No plastic syrup bottle for me...huh uh. ;D  All of the glass items sit on top of this embroidered doily made by my grandmother and is part of a collection of armchair doilies and a headrest doily.  Another one is used on the shelf above it.  I didn't even know my grandmother did needlework and I was around her alot during my growing up years.

You can see part of the corn-shaped muffin pan in the back.  I have two of them; one given to me by a couple who have stayed at our B&B several times and the other I purchased.  In the very back is a pie tin that was my grandmother's.  The American Cheese box came from an auction, I believe.  It holds my collection of cast iron trivets.  I have a few more around the house that are used to keep my plants off the furniture (no water marks).

Tomorrow, I'll finish up our little vignette tour and also share a few changes that I made.  I'm looking forward to it and hope to see you then as well.

"Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn " (E. Lawrence) ~

1 comment:

Sunny Simple Life said...

I adore your cupboard. Your whole blog is darling and I must add it to my list so I can keep up. You really have a knack for display.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...