Saturday, October 29, 2011

~Aunt Grace's Floral Vintage Style Apron~

Since starting my new blog, I have not talked much about my online shop.  I make and sell items...vintage style aprons, camera purses, tote bags, doggy clothing and accessories and anything else I have a mind to add to my store.  I have an Etsy store as well as a blog...Dawggone Cute Creations...but have put the the blog on the shelf for a while until I set aside the time to finish the reconstruction on it.

Recently, I got an order to make an apron that I call Aunt Grace's Floral Apron.  I don't have an aunt named Grace.  I don't know anyone named Grace other than a couple of little girls in my church.  I named the apron after the fabric.  Pretty original, huh? :)  I wanted to show you my latest project.

Seam binding is very commonly used on vintage aprons to finish out most of the seams. Very pretty but not that easy to apply if you don't know what you are doing.  Ruffles on the bodice make this apron look so dainty and feminine.


I make all my own seam binding to coordinate with the fabric I am using.  This binding is in a yellow floral print.  I love the small white flowers on the blue fabric.  A little flower button and yellow ribbon complete the look on the bodice.

Deep pockets are also common on vintage aprons.  To hold little items of necessity..maybe a few bobby pins, a few scraps of paper with notes scribbled on them, a small toy, a hanky or maybe small things that need to be put away when one has the time.

The apron strings are long so as to fit a waist of almost any size.  The shoulder strings have two buttonholes to make adjusting a little simpler.  They can be worn straight, as shown, or crisscrossed.  Whichever is more comfortable.

All of the items I make have, of course, the name tag but also a little silver dog charm.  My signature.  I have several different ones that I use.

I love vintage aprons.  They speak so much of the housewives from generations ago.  I'm glad they are making a comeback.   Alot of vintage things are coming back into vogue.  Even though I was very young during this era, seeing the styles, story books and decorating from my childhood days brings back some memories and such a sweet feeling of nostalgia.  What's your take on this "new" style?

Okay, time to do my commercial:   In case you are interested, this particular apron style comes in small, medium and large. I also have this fabric available in a pretty shade of green if blue is not your color.  If you want to know more about this apron or some of the other things I sell, you can contact me or just check out what I have in my Etsy store.  The end.

Hope your autumn day is beautiful where you are ~





6 comments:

Kerin said...

You are so talented!
I'm going to have to check out your etsy store.
Hope you have a beautiful weekend too :)

Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh I love it. The sunny yellow with the sky blue is so vintage. I love that all that is coming back too.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

OH VELMA...that is the cutest apron!!! I LOVE the colors...it would be perfect for our kitchen (i found the perfect fabric for our kitchen on Ebay finally) and this would fit right in! You and Bev (Bee Haven Acres)make beautiful aprons. I will be contacting you once my sister has gone home :) I hope your day has been a good one.
Maura :)

Cindy said...

That is a darling apron! I love the Aunt Grace, if I couldn't sew I would order that one. It is just TOO cute.
Hugs, cindy

Cindy said...

Oh, about the vintage things coming back into vogue- I love it, it cause me to be very nostalgic. My mother was a house wife and she wore aprons like the Aunt Grace, it makes me want to live in that day and age, I think that's why I love my little house so much. It speaks of simpler times...so nostalgic.
Hugs, Cindy

Patty Marker said...

It seems we are kindred spirits. I adore that apron and your etsy shop is beautiful. I went to follow you and it seems I already do. I am adding you to my sidebar so I don't forget to check for updates. Have a wonderful week, Patty

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...