Thursday, October 3, 2013

~A Little Orange and Black~

Orange and black.  You're suspecting that this has something to do with Halloween or Fall, right?  Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you.  It has nothing to do with either but rather something much more important and fun...school colors and school pride!

This is my granddaughter, Monkey, with her Mama and other grandma, JuJu.  They live in Nebraska and are big Cornhusker fans...I mean really BIG!!  Monkey got to celebrate her 7th birthday by going to her first college football game.  But they are also Oklahoma State Cowboy fans because her daddy and his side of the family (that's us!) are diehard, bleed orange and black Cowboy fans.  And, to top it off, her Poppa (Mr. Bill) played some college football there!  Anyway, her Mama asked me to make her something orange and black (school colors) so that she could show off her Cowboy pride.

She showed me an outfit from a retail place and asked if I could make something like it.  Do you know there are no peasant type dress patterns for little girls?  Seriously.  I thought they were "in" this year.  Anyway, I had to combine two patterns to come up with this dress.

A nice wide, black and white polka dot sash really stands out against the orange chevron print.

I finsished the edges of the sash and ruffle trim with my serger.  I think the two rows of ruffles are so cute.  Adds a bit of flounce, don't you think?

Jane, Monkey's mama, also asked if I would make a hairbow.  This is my first attempt.  I've never made big girl hairbows before.  Can you believe it?  I've got three granddaughters!!  Anyway, I layered together two pieces of the chevron fabric with interfacing to give it some stiffness, cut into several strips and trimmed the edges with my pinking shears.

A covered button made with OSU logo fabric finishes it off.  It was fun to make but I have to admit that it was rather hard on my hands.  I suffer from arthritis in my thumb joints :/   Bummer!

It's done and they went in the mail yesterday.  I just hope it fits!  Though I used the recommended measurement on the pattern, I have a feeling the neck opening may be a bit too large.  Thankfully, we are going up there for a visit in about ten days so I can make some adjustments, if necessary, when I'm up there.  Can't wait to see her display her Cowboy pride!    I had so much fun making this outfit and hairbow that I've got one in the makes for Tater Tot, the 5-year-old granddaughter.


Internet source
 
GO POKES!!
 
p.s.  Referring to the arthritic pain in my thumbs....I wear Handeze arthritic gloves (if I remember to put them on!) when sewing, use BioFreeze around the joints and have my hands worked on by the chiropractor and massage therapist when necessary but the ol' thumbs still give me issues.  If you suffer from this affliction, what do you do to help overcome the problem?
 
 
Until next time.....

Photobucket
Pin It

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are talented, Velma!!
For my hand pain, which sounds just like yours....I should do something..I try to rest them when I overdo, I've stopped eating wheat, I'm trying to cut out or cut down my sugar intake, and my dear hubby prays for my hands and joints every single day.
I can't bear to have the chiropractor adjust them. And I have a high pain threshold.

Kerin said...

She is going to be the best dressed girl at any event, not just games!
One would think that you've been making hair bows for years and years.

Sorry about your joint pain. I wish I had some advice, or hints, but I'm not familiar with that condition.
What I know is that your granddaughters outfit is more precious considering the sacrifices that you made to get it done :)

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Velma. What a cute dress and Monkey (love that name) will look so sweet in it. I think I have arthritis in my left thumb, but so far I can just ignore it when it flares up. Probably won't be able to for long..Happy Thursday..Judy

Melinda said...

I know one young lady who is going to like her present!

M : )

Cindy said...

I love the little dress and hair ribbons! You have done a marvellous job on it. I found the same thing when I decided to make my gd a similar dress. I put a couple of patterns together and then I still made it way too short.
Have a good weekend!

Kathleen Grace said...

Such an adorable dress! I hope you'll show a photo of your granddaughter wearing it:>) If the neck needs to be made smaller it seems that you could just tighten the elastic? At any rate I love the dress and hair bow, she is going to love it too:>)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh Velma, that is adorable....No peasant dress patterns!!!! Like you said you can just tighten up the elastic, those dresses are one size fits all. I love the polka dots! So sorry to hear about your arthritis, especially when it inhibits you form doing all you want! Be sure to get us a pick with her in the dress

Carol

My Cottage Charm said...

That turned out amazing! You are very talented indeed! The college in our town has the colors orange and black too, so I can root right along with your monkey! :0)
OH..and YES, that photo shoot day is a day I will never forget! It was an experience I never ever thought I would be experiencing myself! What a blessing!(and fun too!) :)
Missy

Deanna said...

Leila and Ben on Etsy have two peasant dress patterns for up to size 5 and then up to size 10 : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...