Thursday, December 29, 2011

~A Christmas Project or Two~

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I was busy working on some doll clothes for one of my granddaughters for Christmas.  I finally got them done, well, all but one anyway. :/  And I said that I would share with you what I've been up to....
Little Monkey got an American Girl type doll for Christmas and mama wanted me to make some outfits for her.  Monkey takes ballet and we thought that she would love for her doll to practice ballet with her.

A little tutu skirt made with several layers of fine tulle and a glittery tulle type fabric on top.

She has to have a little shirt to go with the tutu skirt, so I made this onesy type shirt in a pretty pale pink t-shirt fabric.

 Elastic trim at the neck and then a matching flower trim to make it a bit more feminine looking.

There are four little snaps in the back to close it up and some more elastic trim in the leg openings.

No little practice outfit is complete without a matching tutu-style hair clip to top it all off.  If you look real hard, you can see a pink button in the center of the hair clip.

Now she needs are some ballet slippers and maybe some tights.

Monkey goes to a school where she is required to wear a uniform.  When we were thumbing through the variety of patterns, we came across the uniform one and knew this would be perfect.  Mama had an extra uniform and so she sent it to me to use.

The bodice is just a bit different than Monkey's uniform and now that I know how these doll patterns work, I can revise it easily.  Little pleats go all the way around the skirt.

The straps are permanently attached in the back and there is a Velcro strip closure.  Makes dressing the doll so much easier.

The little cotton blouse is so cute!  Four little buttons down the front are decorative only as there is a Velcro strip for opening and closing the blouse.

The peter pan collar is trimmed with a cute little lace trim.

And a nice little pleat in the back completes the look.

I made another matching hair clip with some leftover fabric by creating a little bow.

I think Monkey is going to be so tickled for her doll to have a uniform just like hers.  I had so much fun making the outfit and am seriously considering making doll uniforms to sell in my Etsy shop.   The hardest part would be finding fabric that matched but I think I've found a source.  What do you think?  If you had a little girl or granddaughter who had to wear a school uniform, would you buy a matching doll's uniform?  I'd really like your input on this.  Heck, I may even make other doll dresses if there was enough interest! :)  Seriously, I'd really like to know what you think.

These are just a couple of the doll outfits that I made.  I made some baby doll jammies and doll diapers, too.  In the next few days, I'm going to do a tutorial on my version of the doll diaper, which I found to be much easier.

Hope you are continuing to enjoy your Christmas holiday ~







Participating in these blog parties:

                         Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
                         We Did it Wednesday @ Sew Much Ado
                         Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures
                         Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home

8 comments:

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Velma, you are quite the seamstress! Your granddaughter must be sooo happy. The clothes are darling and are made with such love and creativity. She's a lucky little girl but I bet you feel pretty lucky, too.-------- Shannon

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lois--Huckleberry Lady said...

Wow Velma, you did a good job. I sew doll clothes for my granddaugher and where you put the velcro, your sewing lines are so straight. I never can keep a straight line!!!!! That tutu is really nice.
Happy New Year,
Lois

Melinda said...

Wow--those outfits are adorable.
Very detailed. I bet she loves them.

Melinda

TinaTx said...

Super cute! I'm sure she loves them!
Happy New Year!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your doll clothes are gorgeous! So beautifully created. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com Happy New Year. Hugs, Gayle

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How cute! I've made doll clothes before and they are not easy! I collect dolls and have a doll room full of all kinds of dolls. I'm visiting from Shannon's! ♥

Terry said...

Those outfits are so cute! Can't hardly believe they didn't come with the doll because they are spot on! I do think you need an Etsy store, although I think your granddaughter is going to be requesting more outfits now! Thanks for linking up, I'll be featuring this project this weekend and hope you come back and link up again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...