Friday, March 23, 2012

~Can You Identify This Flower?~

We have a large grassy area between our house and the road that has had nothing done with it other than mowing.  The other day, when coming up the drive, I noticed a couple of patches of blue flowers and thought I had better check them out to see if they were truly flowers or not.

Please ignore the beautiful weeds growing in the background. :)
They were too pretty to ignore so, this afternoon, I went out with my trusty little spade and a container to do some investigating and to be ready just in case.  Lo and behold, these are bulb flowers of some type!

So, dig them up I did, and brought them to my lovely flower bed overgrown with early spring weeds.  The grandsons were supposed to come over this week to help clean it out, but they went on an unexpected trip with their parents (more about that later) and so it will have to wait until next weekend.

I know that these are fairly new as I had never noticed them before and, goodness knows, I didn't plant them!! Not out there anyway.  Thank you, birds or bees or whatever brought them my way!!

There are a couple of larger bulbs but most are pretty small.  So I separated them and planted them in between my new hydrangea plants.

I have no idea what they are but I love the delicate blossoms and hope that they thrive well on the north side of the house.  They should as they were just out in the open before being transplanted.  As much as I love flowers, I am very lax in knowing the different varieties.  The question is, can anyone identify this flower for me?  I'd love to know more about it.  Thanks for your help in this little mystery.

It's beautiful and green here in Oklahoma after the abundance of rain this week.  I pray you have a beautiful weekend!!

Hugs~


Photobucket
Pin It


15 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Grape hyacinths! We have hundreds in our yard. I love them.

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Yep! Those are baby Grape Hyacinths! So sweet, and they smell good too! :)

My Vintage Mending said...

Yes it is grape Hyacinth and usually best when bought by bulb. You can find it in catalogs. Treat it as you would any other tulip/ daffodil etc...smiles...Renee

Unknown said...

I planted these about 18 years ago, I don't know how I lost them, being a bulb. ??? Must have been the moles. Now you've reminded me to plant some more, thanks!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love free flowers! Looks like everyone else knew what they were....No green thumb here. Send some rain to Orlando!

Carol

Anonymous said...

One of the best things about grape hyacinths is they will keep coming up year after year after year after year!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

I didn't know the name of your mystery flower either but it is very pretty. I love the color. Glad the others helped you identify them. The mystery of how they got there might be harder to solve. ------ Shannon

Dorinda said...

Hi Velma - I know them as grape hyacinths or muscari. They are perennials, but are definitely from a bulb so it's so funny that they have just found a way to your property. Enjoy them...they are so pretty. Happy Spring to you from Northern CT. Hugs, Dorinda

Kathleen Grace said...

What everyone else said:>)
Aren't they pretty? Lucky you to find them!

Cindy said...

I was going to say they were a Hyacinth of some sort and I was right! You have some very smart readers, they knew exactly what kind.
Hugs, Cindy

GardenOfDaisies said...

Those are muscari, sometimes called grape hyacinth. I have a picture of them in my latest post too.

Kerin said...

Oh .. it looks like everyone else let you know just what they are already :)
There was a house in the neighborhood when I was a kid, and their entire front yard was thick with grape hyacinth. They smell so good!

Just wanted to invite you to read and follow me at my new blog
always fixin' never sittin' blogspot.
Keeping the old blog private... just for family.
Just click on my name next to this comment.. should take you right there.
Hope to see ya soon :)

vintage grey said...

Oh, what a beautiful spring flower! :) I wish I had such lovelies growing in my yard!! xo Heather

Sam I Am...... said...

Aren't they lovely...that was my guess, grape hyacinths and they were probably brought by squirrels. They dig them up and then replant them.
Good for you to utilize that free gift!

TinaTx said...

I wouldn't have known what the are, but I'm glad others did! They are lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...